Joel I. Sorger, M.D.
Orthopedic Oncology, Total Joint Replacements & Sports Medicine
Dr. Joel Sorger
Joel I. Sorger is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with nearly two decades of medical experience. Dr. Sorger specializes in orthopaedic oncology, total joint replacements and general orthopaedics. He is one of the few orthopaedic oncologists in the state of Ohio and the only orthopaedic oncologist on the Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine team.
As a highly accomplished orthopaedic oncologist, Dr. Sorger works part-time at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and has experience treating numerous types of orthopaedic cancers, including Ewing’s sarcoma, osteosarcoma, and other malignancies of the musculoskeletal system. In addition to orthopaedic oncology, Dr. Sorger sees patients needing general orthopaedic care and total joint replacement.
Dr. Sorger has published peer-reviewed papers and book chapters on orthopedic oncology in several medical publications. He is passionate about teaching future orthopedic surgeons, and outside of Beacon, he works as an Associate Professor at the University of Cincinnati and an Assistant Professor at Wright State University. Dr. Sorger has also given over 35 featured lectures at a number of hospitals across Ohio and Kentucky. He is also an active member of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Sorger was born and raised in New Jersey but was brought to Cincinnati through his residency in orthopedic surgery at University of Cincinnati. He now lives in Montgomery with his wife, Kathy, and their three children.
- M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, 1987-1991
- B.S., University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia, 1983-1987
- Department of General Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1991-1992
- Department of General Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1992-1993
- Department of Orthopaedics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1994-1998
- Orthopaedic Research Fellowship, Noyes-Giannestras Biomechanics Lab, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1993-1994
- Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Management Fellowship, Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital, 1998-1999
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001