Joel I. Sorger, M.D.
Orthopedic Oncology, Total Joint Replacements & Sports Medicine
Dr. Joel Sorger
Joel I. Sorger, M.D. is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon with nearly two decades of medical experience. Dr. Sorger specializes in orthopaedic oncology, total joint replacements, and sports medicine. Dr. Sorger is one of the few orthopaedic oncologists in the state of Ohio and the only orthopaedic oncologist on the Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine team.
As a highly accomplished orthopaedic oncologist, Dr. Sorger has experiencing treating numerous types of orthopaedic cancers, including Ewing’s sarcoma, osteosarcoma, and other malignancies of the musculoskeletal system. Dr. Sorger has written several publications about orthopaedic cancers, as well. On top of orthopaedic oncology, Dr. Sorger sees patients needing general orthopaedic surgery including total joint replacements.
Dr. Sorger was born and raised in New Jersey, but currently resides in Montgomery with his wife, Kathy, and their three children. Dr. Sorger is also an active member of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati. With decades of experience, Dr. Sorger is passionate about teaching future orthopaedic surgeons.
- M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, 1987-1991
- B.S., University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia, 1983-1987
- Department of General Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1991-1992
- Department of General Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1992-1993
- Department of Orthopaedics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1994-1998
- Orthopaedic Research Fellowship, Noyes-Giannestras Biomechanics Lab, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1993-1994
- Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Management Fellowship, Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital, 1998-1999
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001