Why Should I Donate Blood?
January 8, 2020
Have you ever wondered why you should donate blood? You’ve probably heard it can save lives, but do you know exactly who needs blood or when they need it? Lots of schools, businesses, and other establishments do annual blood drives, but many don’t know the true importance of donating safe blood. Learn about why you should consider donating, and if you qualify below!
6 Reasons to Donate Blood
- There is very little pain involved! After the initial stick, you shouldn’t feel any pain.
- People who have experienced severe trauma, such as car accidents or natural disasters, may need blood to replace large quantities that may have been lost.
- Women who have complications with their pregnancies, such as a hemorrhage before, during or after birth, is one of the most common reasons why blood may be needed.
- Children with severe anemia are in need of blood transfusions because this blood disorder results from a lack of red blood cells and leads to reduced oxygen flow to the body’s organs.
- Complex medical and surgical procedures often need blood on-hand in case of emergencies.
- There is a constant need for a regular blood supply because it can only be stored for a limited time.
Can I Donate Blood?
If you’re interested in donating blood, there are a few simple requirements you must meet in order to safely do so. Each center varies on specific requirements, but the ones listed below are what you can expect:
- You must be 18+ years old or have parental permission.
- You must weigh at least 120 pounds.
- You must be free of any major organ or blood diseases, such as heart disease, lung disease, and bleeding tendencies.
- You must not be taking any antibiotics or other supplements that could influence donation. If you’re insured, contact the agency you’re donating to before you go in.
- Check with your doctor if you’ve recently had surgery or traveled outside of the US.
By donating blood, you help save lives. If you’ve donated in the past and continue to donate today, thank you from everyone at Beacon Orthopaedics! If you have an orthopedic injury, schedule an appointment with one of our specialists or stop by our Urgent Care today!