Training the Athletic Trainers and Staying Healthy
July 29, 2020
The bar of excellence has moved. We’re following an all new set of standards for athletic trainers in today’s environment. With the ever-present risk of COVID-19 hovering around us, keeping student athletes healthy has a whole new set of challenges, and Beacon’s team of high school athletic trainers is rising to meet them.
After all, how does one inspect a potentially sprained ankle while maintaining proper social distancing? Until our shipment of go-go gadget arms comes in, we’re left with more pedestrian means like masks, gloves and thermometers, which are all part of our enhanced safety protocols. Measures that specifically follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) general COVID-19 guidelines and the CDC’s recommended precautions for youth sports.
Guidelines for Beacon Athletic Trainers
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Maintain a distance of six-feet apart whenever possible.
- Track temperature of all athletes, athletic trainers and staff.
- Frequently sanitize all surfaces.
- Use warm water and soap when washing hands, and hand sanitizer will be provided where that is not available. Examples of when you should wash your hands:
- Before and after touching your face
- After using the restroom
- After blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
- After touching your face mask
- Symptom monitoring: fever, coughing, shortness of breath and other symptoms can all be symptoms of COVID-19.
- Athletic Trainers will wear gloves and change them after each use.
- Limit the number of people within a room — all non-essential individuals will be asked to leave.
- Student-Athletes and coaches will be asked to wear a face mask, while inside our training room facilities.
- Don’t share towels, clothing, water bottles, and minimize sharing of equipment.
Even with taking all of the recommended precautions, it’s also key to be prepared in the event that someone who’s been in contact with a Beacon athletic trainer or student-athlete tests positive for COVID-19. We have prepared a detailed plan that involves swift and thorough action for this very potentiality, which strictly follows the CDC’s recommendations.
We continue to learn new things about COVID-19 every day. As we do, we’ll update our guidelines to ensure we keep everyone as safe as possible.
Beacon is Everywhere
To help support the health and well-being of our local high school athletes, Beacon provides many of the top schools with athletic trainers. Learn more about our athletic trainers or check out our full list of partner schools and teams.
Book Your Sports Physical
Is your student athlete in need of a sports physical? Look no further. We’re offering discounted physicals for $20. You can schedule your child’s exam individually with our primary care sports medicine physicians today.